Indium Corporation ® will showcase selections from its portfolio of proven products for thermal management and power electronics applications at SEMICON Taiwan, September 6‒8, in Taipei. In addition, Senior Area Technical Manager Jason Chou will deliver a presentation, The Lead-Free Materials Evolution in Power Die-Attach Soldering Applications, on September 7.
Indium Corporation’s GalliTHERM™ portfolio of gallium-based liquid metal solutions draws on the company’s more than 60 years of experience in manufacturing gallium-based liquid metals. Indium Corporation also offers significant global technical support to help customers ensure their liquid metal thermal solutions meet their application needs with low- and high-volume production available in the U.S. and Asia.
The company’s Heat-Spring ® solutions, ideal for TIM2 applications, are a compressible interface between a heat source and a heat-sink. These indium-containing TIMs offer superior thermal conductivity over non-metals—with pure indium metal delivering 86W/mK. They are available as pure indium, pure indium clad with aluminum to prevent sticking to the device under test (DUT), indium-silver alloys, and indium-tin alloys.
Indium Corporation offers a number of innovative high-performance metal TIM solutions. With its portfolio of alloys that are liquid at or near room temperature, Indium Corporation’s liquid metal TIMs are designed to offer superior thermal conductivity for both TIM1 and TIM2 applications. Liquid metal TIMs are available in a variety of alloys, including InGa and InGaSn.
Indium Corporation’s m2TIM TM combines liquid metal with a solid metal preform to provide reliable thermal conductivity for heat dissipation without the need for a solderable surface. The presence of a solid solder preform absorbs and contains the liquid alloys while improving thermal conductivity.
Available in InGa and InGaSn, this m2TIM hybrid approach provides extraordinary wetting ability to both metallic and non-metallic surfaces and low interfacial resistance. It also reduces the risk of pump- out of the liquid alloy.
As the industry leader in no-clean semiconductor flux, Indium Corporation will also feature the first no-clean, ball-attach flux on the market, NC-809. NC-809 is a dual-purpose flux, engineered with high-tack characteristics for flip-chip applications with strong wetting power for ball-attach applications. This material is designed to hold die or solder spheres in place without risk of die shift or solder sphere movement during the assembly process.
NC-809 is designed to leave minimal residue after reflow, at the level of Indium Corporation’s proven ultra-low residue (ULR) flip-chip fluxes such as NC-26S and NC-699. NC-809 exhibits superior wetting performance and is the first ULR flux qualified for ball grid array ball-attach applications for packages that are sensitive to traditional water cleaning processes. NC-809 also improves production yields by eliminating costly cleaning steps, which can increase substrate warpage both after reflow and before the underfilling steps, creating the potential for die damage and cracked solder joints. Indium Corporation’s products for power electronics have been demonstrated to reduce energy consumption and solve warpage issues for its customers while ensuring high reliability and improving overall efficiency.
- Featured power electronics products include:
- InTACK™—a no-clean, no residue, halogen-free adhesive solution developed for holding parts in place during placement and reflow processes. Designed for use in no-flux reflow applications with formic acid, InTACK is specially formulated with high tack to hold a die, chip, or solder preform in place without movement, reducing the dependency on tooling without compromising soldering or sintering quality.
- InFORMS ® —reinforced solder alloy fabrications that improve mechanical and thermal reliability and are specifically designed to produce consistent bondline thickness for power module applications. They also address specific challenges for the power electronics industry by providing an enhanced material for the development of more reliable and higher performance modules.
- Indalloy ® 301 LT Alloy for Preforms/InFORMS—a novel Pb-free alloy that enables lower processing temperatures in preform soldering compared to SAC alloys. Specifically designed for power module applications, this alloy prevents warpage in package-cooler attach scenarios without sacrificing reliability like traditional bismuth- containing low-temperature alloys. It is available in preforms, ribbon, or InFORMS.
- InFORCE ™ 29—a pressure copper sinter paste for high-reliability, high thermal conductivity, die-attach applications. InFORCE 29 features high workability, making it suitable for printing or dispensing applications. It provides excellent sinter performance on bare copper surfaces without the need for costly gold or silver plating.
- InFORCE ™ MF—a pressure silver sinter paste for the highest reliability, highest thermal conductivity, die-attach applications. InFORCE MF is specially formulated for printing applications providing low process yield loss due to print defects and reduces the need for overprint. With a high metal load and low organic content, it enables fast drying times and less material loss.
- Durafuse ® HT—based on a novel alloy technology, designed to deliver a tin-rich, high-temperature lead-free (HTLF) paste, presenting the merits of both constituent alloys. Durafuse HT delivers simplified processing, with no special equipment needed, and enhanced thermal cycling reliability equal to or higher than a high-Pb solder.
To learn more about Indium Corporation’s innovative products for thermal management and power electronics, visit their experts at booth I2630 at SEMICON Taiwan or online at indium.com.